Scuba Diving in Isla Mujeres
There is no better place to scuba dive than Isla Mujeres. Year-round you can have encounters with big animals like whale sharks. First of all, what is scuba diving? Scuba diving is a water sport in which you breathe air from a tank while underwater. Scuba is an acronym for Self-Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus. You don’t need to be experienced to do scuba diving in Isla Mujeres as there are options for everyone, from beginners to pros.
There are two main Isla Mujeres Diving opportunities that attract tourists every year. From mid-December to mid-march, you can swim with sailfish and during the summer you can swim with whale sharks. Nonetheless, all year round you can find turtles, rays and many species of tropical fish.
Best spots for Diving in Isla Mujeres
- MUSA Underwater Museum: The Underwater Museum of Art also called "Musa", is less than 10 meters deep in Isla Mujeres. This is an incomparable activity for tourists who wish to do Isla Mujeres scuba diving. Observe original sculptures surrounded by beautiful marine creatures and swim in the transparent waters of Isla Mujeres. It will definitely be an unforgettable experience.
- Reef diving: For reef diving in Isla Mujeres the best option is Manchones Reef. This is a calm place with shallow depth and great marine life diversity, excellent for beginners as well as experienced divers. You can find various corals and marine species of different colors; it is only 10 minutes by boat from Isla Mujeres.
- Night diving: Diving in Isla Mujeres during the night is a unique and incredible option for the more adventurous few. At night you can find different species such as octopus, moray eels and lobsters. The best place to do this Isla Mujeres diving is also Manchones Reef.
Who to dive with?
There are many tourism companies that offer the Isla Mujeres Diving experience, below we’ll list a few.
- Cancún Scuba Center: With more than 25 years of experience, this company provides a great service for both experienced and new scuba divers in Isla Mujeres, while keeping safety a priority. They provide Isla Mujeres diving in the MUSA Underwater Museum.
- Aquaworld: This Isla Mujeres diving company offers classes for beginners in scuba diving. They also offer a tour to the Underwater Museum and day/night scuba tours to Manchones Reef.
- Casa del Buceo: Specialized in small private tours, this company is perfect if you want an intimate Isla Mujeres scuba diving experience. Casa del Buceo offers reef diving, deep adventure diving, night diving, diving lessons and diving certifications.
Whomever you decide to dive with, make sure they have PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) certification to ensure your safety. For experienced divers, it’s always better to go with somebody who knows the area well so you don’t run into any surprises.
All in all, scuba diving in Isla Mujeres is one of the most requested activities and with reason. The diversity of Isla Mujeres’ reefs offers the opportunity to appreciate natural beauty, in a safe and relaxed environment. You can observe different species such as: turtles, catsharks, stingrays, lobsters, crabs, octopuses, squid and countless tropical fish such as barracudas, puffer fish, parrot fish and many more. In Isla Mujeres you can find a good number of specialized stores and diving centers where they can give you all the information you need. If you think you are ready for the once in a lifetime experience of Isla Mujeres Scuba Diving, then go on ahead!